Foundation stage swimming lessons are designed to develop basic water skills such as movement, water confidence and the awareness of safety around water through fun activities, games and songs. Instructors teach the adults skills and techniques they can use to assist their child with swimming during fun / public swims.
Swimming lessons for children aged three to five are slightly more structured than the foundation sessions, they are designed to help children explore the water and enjoy learning to swim through fun with the help of a parent / carer, whilst achieving Ducklings awards 1 – 5.
By the time your child is five they should comfortably be able to:
- Jump in the water, turn around, swim back to the point of entry and hold the rail or side.
- Submerge completely and blow bubbles under the water.
- Push and glide achieving a streamlined position on front or back.
- Float on their front or back and regain standing/vertical position.
- Swim 5 metres on their front or back.
- Exit safely with assistance if required.